Monday, June 16, 2014

oelp daily reflections (Raphaela)

Day 1
(25/5/14)

Today we went to San He (三河), honestly I didn't really enjoy myself as I find that the guide couldn't really capture our attention. Like she was kinda absorbed in her own world and didn't really bothered to see if we understood. However, I pretty much enjoyed the the train ride from Shanghai to Anhui, Hefei. As it was my first taking the high speed rail, which is a brand mew experience for me. Also I  realized that I felt little homesick just after a few hours as I couldn't get used to the food here and the environment, but this is something that I have to learn from the trip. I have to learn how to adapt to the environment. However, the hotel was much better than I expected and I'm pretty much satisfied with the place we're staying so far.


Day 2
(26/5/14)

Today we went to visit Hefei 45 Zhong (合肥45中). Today I learnt a lot of things about my buddy and her classmates. I was really thankful that her classmates were so welcoming towards us. Also, her chairperson even took the initiative to talk to me when she saw me and my buddy on the street and she was very friendly. She also told me that the class was really anticipating our arrival and had been doing so since 8 in the morning which is their first lesson. Though at first me and my group members were really awkward with them, but however after sometime we got closer to them. During the lessons, my group members and I couldn't really understand the lessons but we didn't have to worry much as we have our buddies to help us through by guiding and explaining things to us slowly so as to ensure that we understand. However I was a little disappointed as I couldn't help my partner out during her English lessons as they knew that we were better in English compared to them. However we were unable to help out as the way they had English lessons were totally different from ours. Not only that I also realized that the teaching style in china is really different from Singapore. I was also really thankful that their English/Formteacher gave us a really warm welcome and even sayed her goodbyes to us when we left and even when we performed not only that she gave us the most support of of the class. Throughout the whole day where we spent most of the time at their school, I learned also learned that the students in China were really enthusiastic in learning and were really eager to answer the questions their teachers ask. Not only did their passion of learning amaze me as despite the fact that their learning environment is not as good as ours, which was cramp and stuffy, they still were really attentive in class and could answer the questions their teachers ask. Unlike them, we have very good learning environment, however we don't cherish it and take it for granted. Hence, all in all I think that today was a fruitful day for me.


5 things I like about RV:
-the not so stuffy learning environment 
-quiet learning environment
-the short school hours 
-the small number of the classmates 
-the nicer smelling toilets than compared to the toilets in China 


Day 3
(27/5/14)

Today we went to the Anhui Museum and to the Cultural Park. At the museum we learnt a lot of about the different things learnt in different dynasties. However, at the Cultural Park I learnt the most there. Our guide took us to watch chickens fight each other and it was really heartbreaking seeing it as there were so thin and were all almost featherless and yet they still have to be used to fight with their own species. Next was the dog racing show, when the dogs were being lead out to the open space intront of us by their trainers, at that moment I felt like bringing those dogs home and take care of them. Even though I'm scared of them I still had to urge to take care of them myself because I know that I can take better care of them than compared to the local people. The dogs were so skinny it's almost as if you gone see their bones protruding out and it was disheartening to see this scene. I also couldn't help but think that the dogs that are wandering around on the streets are maybe happier than these dogs. 

Next up was the circus performance. It was by far the most cruel performance I've watched. Firstly, the tigers came out being lead their trainers at first I though it was gonna be some really dangerous performance for the trainers and pitied them. However, my sympathy for them instantly changed and instead felt sympathy for the tigers as they were being commanded by the trainers to do things that they are unwillingly to do and they were being beaten with a metal stick by their trainers. At the point of the time, I started tearing up as I think that animals should have basic respect from their trainers. As the tigers are also living things, they have feelings too. They don't deserve to be treated like that and being abused by humans. Hence, it made me feel very angry and sad at the same time as the tiger was being mistreated. 






Day 4
(28/5/14)

Today, we took a 4 hour long bus journey to the mid of Huangshan(黄山). However, we still had to take the cable car and climb in order to reach the peak of Huangshan. But, taking the cable car to the peak was mission impossible for him as I have fear of heights. However, thanks to my friends and the encouragment the teachers gave me I took the courage to step into the cable car carriage. Although I was still shaking when I was in the carriage I was thankful that I had my helpful classmates who comforted me and allowed me to hold onto them. 

When we got downt the cable car, I was taken aback by our guide as she said we had to climb 20mins to our hotel and then continuing climbing around 3hours to see different sites. But this trip isn't called OELP for nothing. Though it was tiring that we have to climb so many steps and for so long, but thanks to this opportunity we were able to get to know people we don't usually talk to in class more and bond more with classmates, as we kept giving encouragment to each other. 




Day 5 
(29/5/14)

Today we woke up extra early just to be able to see the beautiful scene of the sun rise from Huangshan.Neverthelss, the scene of the sunrise didn't disappoint me at all. It was by far one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen.  

After breakfast, we climbed to the other side of Huangshan and looked around to see other nice scenery in Huangshan. Who knew, coincidentally, we met a RV senior who graduated in 1967☺️We even sang the school song with him and took a group picture with him.🎶📷

After that, it was time we left Huangshan and head to our next destination yixian, which has 200 years of history😱



Day 6 
(30/5/14)

Today, we went to visit different villages. We learnt a lot from this visit as we learnt the stories about almost each and every corner of the place through the local tour guide who explained everything to us in detail. Hence, making us realize that things may look about the same on the outside but the story they are about to tell us different. 

We also had talk about Anhui in the evening. The talk allowed us to learn a lot more about the cultural difference between Anhui and Singapore and also we learned a lot more about Anhui either than the things that we learned in the past few days. 

Lastly to end off the night, we also had circle time. It allowed us to learn how some people honestly feel about certain things and allowed many of us to learn that we shouldn't hurt others feelings because we don't really know the story behind everything that is happening to him/her. This circle time made our class grow even closer and attached to each other. Also, Mr Wong also showed us a video which he edited and I was truly touched by his video because it made me have many emotions. 


Day 7 
(31/5/14) 

Today we went to the ancient street of Tunxi(屯溪老街) to shop. Although there were many things we wanted buy, we could only buy things where we really find that is rare in Singapore as we were only given 40mins to shop😔👜 we still had a really fun time as this was the first and last time we got to buy anything from Anhui☺️

Afterwards, after our short yet fun shopping we headed to Hangzhou. It was another bus journey that took 2.5 hours. At hangzhou, we sat a boat across the river. Even though the view wasn't as pretty as the view at Huangshan, we still had fun on the boat. 

Finally after our Hangzhou trip, it was time for us to head to the airport to go back to home sweet home🏡at the airport, we were given free time to have dinner with our friends and it was by far my best meal throughout the whole trip as I was eating with the people that never fails to brighten up my days withou fail. After dinner, we even went to Starbucks to have a drink☕️I finally satisfied my craving for Starbucks✌️However, who knew that our flight had been delayed by 1h which meant that I will reach home one hour later😭but we were given coupons where we could claim free meals but be so we already had our dinner, we decided to claim the ice creams🍦but we were given two ice cream hence we decided to give one of it to a random stranger🍨

Although, at the start I hated the trip a lot, but as the days passed, I slowly enjoyed myself more and a fun time as I learned a lot of different things throughout the trip😄




No comments: